WHY DOG GROOMING? NUMBERS TELL THE STORY
It’s a question we get all the time. Of all the skilled trades for which to launch job-training, why did we pick dog grooming?
The answer is easy: because good-paying, family-friendly jobs are waiting! And it’s a trade that’s accepting of those for whom low educational attainment, addiction or criminal record issues typically hinder employment prospects, keeping their families in the cycle of poverty.
Here are numbers that tell the story:
- 1 in every 3 households in Kansas City owns a dog.
- Nationally, in 2015 dog-owners spent $5.4 billion on pet care services – bathing, grooming, boarding, training – an 11% increase over 2014. This is a growing industry!
- There are 200+ grooming salons and veterinarians offering grooming in the Kansas City area. Petco and PetSmart alone have 40 local openings right now.
- The wait time to get your pup into a high-quality salon can be as much as 2 months.
- 100% of groomers we contacted said there’s a need for more professional groomers.
- Average full-time salaries range from $35,000 to $70,000.
- Dog grooming can be taught in 6 months. The nearest school is 3 hours away. Opportunity awaits!
- And the best number of all: 100% of the single parents who completed our first class passed their internships with flying colors and earned good grooming jobs.
These are jobs of the future – and jobs that can help our students lift their families out of poverty